Five of the churches in the Circuit are located in the various districts of the Town, one in the nearby village of Barlow, and one in the town centre. The church at Loundsley Green is an Anglican/Methodist partnership.
Each church develops for itself an understanding of how the overall Mission of the Methodist Church can be worked out in their own localities, and how links can be formed with their local communities. The town centre church is somewhat different, and welcomes visitors to the town centre from all parts of the town and adjacent areas.
The churches seek to work in collaboration with each other and with other denominations, rather than seeking to provide everything themselves. For example, members of churches across the Circuit assist at the Christian coffee bar and attend Friday lunch time services and Bible Study at Central, and are involved with Worship on Weekdays at Storrs Road, and Prayer Shawl Ministry at Loundsley Green.
Training and allocation of Preachers, and work among teenagers is operated at Circuit level.
We have four ordained staff looking after the Methodist Churches in Chesterfield, and two lay workers.
Rev Sean Adair; (firstname.lastname@example.org) the Superintendent Minister, who has pastoral charge of Central Methodist Church
Rev Margaret Mwailu (01246 556331; email@example.com), who has pastoral charge of Whittington Moor, Hasland and Derby Road churches, and also ‘The Electric Church’
Rev Tracey Harris (firstname.lastname@example.org) who has pastoral charge of Storrs Road and Barlow & Cutthorpe churches, and shares pastoral charge of the Local Ecumenical Partnership at Loundsley Green
Rev Mark Carrick, (email@example.com) is a probationer Minister working alongside Rev Sean Adair at Central
Mr Tim Rossell (0788 4499897; firstname.lastname@example.org) who is our Circuit Youth Worker
Mrs Karen Perry (01246 453651) who is our Circuit Administrator
A brief history of Methodism in Chesterfield
John Wesley visited Chesterfield on two occasions. In August 1776 he preached near the market place and in June 1777 he again preached this time in the market place.
Early Methodist services were held in an upper room off Packers’ Row and a little later they moved to the Blue Meeting Room in Froggatts’ Yard.
The first chapel on Saltergate, next to the Milton Public House, was opened in 1795, Chesterfield being part of the Sheffield Circuit.
In 1806 the Chesterfield Circuit was formed and this stretched from Bolsover in the east to Sparrowpit in the west a distance of over 30 miles. A copy of the first plan is still in existence and reveals a complexity of chapels, meeting places and preachers made all the more difficult by the lack of transport.